The detergent industry is one of the largest consumers of soluble silicates incorporating them in liquid and powder formulations for fabric washing and machine dishwashing in both the domestic and industrial markets.
Soluble silicates offer a number of specific benefits to the detergent formulator:
- Large buffering capacity in the important pH 9-12 range.
- Efficient emulsification saponification of oils and fats.
- Deffloculation and suspension of particulate matter.
- Building action (complexation of water hardness salts).
- Controlled alkalinity to neutralise acidic soils.
- Bleach stabilisation
- Corrosion protection